Sunday, November 4, 2012

06: Robertson to Durban, 1930

View Larger Map
Next Monday morning doors were slammed in our faces. We found Dutch Reformed Church clergy were walking down the streets ahead of us and warning the people to beware of us.

Brother Herbst was told that Reverend Snyman had preached a hell-raiser against us in his beautiful church Sunday. He had told them that we were trying to kidnap their daughters.

So we left Robertson (A) for the homeward trip. We spent the first night at the Visser cottage where we were welcomed heartily. We were able to catch a lift on a pickup truck over steep Bain’s Kloof (B). We spent the next night in the home of the foster parents of Brothers Alvin and Walter Park at Stikland (C), and reached Mowbray (D) that evening.

Perhaps church members at a church function?  Women with banners.

Back of picture reads:
Dolly Green, Minnie Fouche, Nellie Fouche, Nellie Bolleurs (VIRTUE?), Maud Grotique (LOVE), Myrtle Clark, Dolly Bolleurs, Sr. Fouche (MOTHERHOOD), Lily Clark, Sr. Brummer, Mrs. Green
April 1930 or soon after

The Visser boys wrote to me regularly. They wanted an air rifle so I sent them a good pellet gun.

Soon after, President Dalton assigned me to open up the Durban District again. There were only about 14 missionaries in South Africa and less than 1,000 members.

I rode with him by railway to Port Elizabeth (E) where we stayed a day or two. Here I met Elder Clare B. Christensen of American Fork, whose sister I later met and married. Here the wind only blew once a year - all the time!

We also stopped at East London (F). Natives would come out to sell fruit and to beg at each train stop. One day President Dalton was catching up on his journal and asked to borrow mine to help fill in. I replied, “If you can stand it I can!”

One night at Mowbray (G) he had decided to give the ten minute talk on church history requested by the General Authorities. I recorded in my journal: “President Dalton gives one hour and 50 minute harangue on church history for ten minute talk scheduled.” Years later I noticed an addition written in the margin: “President Widtsoe (London, European Mission), says ‘Do not curb the spirit.’ I wish you would remember this, Elder Barker.”

Elder A. Kay Berry
recovering from a burn
Durban - 74 Cromwell Rd.
June 1930

I caught a British Union Castle ship (a beauty) from East London to Durban (H). I rented a room in the Berea district at a place on Cromwell Road that had huge avocado trees in the front yard. Elder A. Kay Berry joined me soon. I met a George Canning and was able to baptize him later. Durban was terribly hot in the summer, with no air conditioning. In those days each elder tracted separately, usually across the street from his companion, so we could get to more places. We had no prepared lesson system. We baptized a Knicklebein family.

Start of the July Handicap
July 1930

266 Frere Rd.
Durban, Natal
George C. Canning
Durban Beach
Dec. 1930

I would rewrite the newsletters and mail them back to Mowbray for Cumorah’s Southern Cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment